Monday, August 1, 2011

Paint Chip Artworks




If you have had a lot of painting projects like me, then you have quite a few paint chips sitting around. This is a cool way to use some of them, instead of throwing them away, or letting them sit around in piles. I got the idea for this project from Mel the Crafty Scientist, using paint chips (samples) to make a fun easy piece of art.




For some years I have had 6 small picture frames, in different shapes & sizes. I decided to put them to use by making some mini art for them. I wanted something to hang in the porch, so I chose my colors accordingly. I wanted the frames to match the wicker furniture, so I used the leftover dark brown satin Rustoleum spray paint I used.



I did this indoors, though you would usually want to use spray paint outside. I was painting a small amount on a well covered surface. While that dried I got to work punching out circles from the paint chips. I used a 0.75" inch craft hole punch due to the small size of the frames. You can use whatever size or shape you want, though some of the craft punch shapes probably won't work as well. I created 6 separate color palettes.

Next I arranged & glued the circles to index cards. I used index card since I have a lot of them, and the pieces were small. I would recommend using card stock or something a bit stronger, since the glue starts to curl the index cards after not too long.




Then I arranged them so they overlap each other & over the edges so the entire piece gets covered.

Once they dry, I used a gel medium, like Modge Podge to cover the entire piece. It comes in many finishes, mine is a satin finish. I used a few layers to make sure it would stay on.





Once they dry, I just trimmed the edges, and put them into their frames. I used some Command hooks to hang them, as I want to keep my walls relatively hole free.







No comments:

Post a Comment