My Grandmother passed away a week ago, just 11 days shy of her 96th birthday. She taught me many things; baking, sewing, crocheting and china painting. She painted china for decades, giving much away as presents and selling some pieces with the local China Painting club. By far her favorite and best subject was flowers, all types beautifully rendered. These are some of the pieces that my mother, my aunt and I have to remember her by.
Painted China
My dear old aunt was gifted, I remember her today
Painting pretty cups and saucers for the family to display.
The guests who came to dinner would discover as they ate
A lovely bed of pansies, blue and yellow, on the plate.
Every bowl became a garden. Who emptied one of soup
Found daffodils and tulips in a gaily colored group.
Water lilies, most exquisite, came to bloom upon a dish.
"Appropiate," said Father "for the day we're serving fish!"
I have never seen such blossoms, and I'm sure I never will,
As those my aunt created with such artistry and skill.
When I've finished with the pudding, was it chocolate, bread or rice,
To discover sweet peas blooming, I considered rather nice.
Has the plate rail gone forever from the family dining room
With the china ware exhibit on which poppies came to bloom?
Are for-get-me-nots forgotten? Did that painting art decline
And vanish with the passing of that gifted aunt of mine?
Edgar A. Guest























































No comments:
Post a Comment